Friday, December 13, 2013

Upgrading to SQL Dev 4 & Oracle Data Miner 4

The production release of SQL Developer 4 and Oracle Data Miner 4 has just been released. If you are like me you will want to upgrade and start using this latest release. For me I particularly want to be using the new Oracle Data Miner 4.  Over the past (almost) 6 months I’ve been working with the Early Adopter versions (EAs) with some degree of frustration. So hopefully it will be all working now.

To download the production version of SQL Developer 4 that include Oracle Data Miner go to here.

The following are the steps that I followed to get SQL Developer installed and to migrate my Oracle Data Miner Repository.  I’m running a 12.1c Oracle Database.

1. Download and unzip the SQL Developer software. Go to the \sqldeveloper folder to locate the sqldeveloper.exe file. I created a shortcut on my desktop for this. When ready then run this file.

2. As SQL Developer is opening you will get the typical splash screen and at some point you will be asked about migrating your preferences from your previous release. In my case I’m migrating from EA1. I select Yes.

image

After a few more seconds SQL Developer should open with all your previous settings.

image

3. Now to update and migrate your existing Oracle Data Mining Repository to the new versions. To start this process, to to the Tool Menu and then select Data Miner –> Make Visible

image

This will open the Oracle Data Miner Connections tab and the Workflow Jobs tab. If you don’t make do this step then your Oracle Data Miner workflows may not run.

4. Double click on one of your schemas in the Data Miner Connection tab.

image

5. Before you upgrade your repository it is advisable to take a full backup of your database, and to export your workflows. Just in case anything might happen during the Repository upgrade. I cannot stress this enough, because during a previous upgrade my repository got wiped and I had to rely on my backups.

5. The version of the repository will be check and if it needs updating then you will get the following window. I’m migrating from EA1 so you might get a slightly different messages. It all depends on what version you were previously using. Select Yes.

image

6. Next you will need to give the SYS password (or talk nicely to your DBA). Then you will get a warning about disconnecting your session from the repository. Click OK.

image

Then you can click on the Start Button

image

Everything should finish after a few minutes.

image

7. Open one of your workflows and run it to make sure all is OK.

 

Based on my initial few hours of working with the production version of SQL Developer 4 and Oracle Data Miner 4 is that it seems to run a lot quicker than the Early Adopter versions.

Watch out for some blog posts over the coming weeks about some of the new features that are available in SQL Developer 4.  Like my previous blog posts, the new posts will be how-to type of articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment