Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Call for Papers : UKOUG Annual Conferences : Closes 4th June at 9am (UK)

The call for Papers (presentations) for the UKOUG Annual Conferences is open until 9am (UK time) on Monday 4th June.

Ukoug18

Me: What are you waiting for? Go and submit a topic! Why not!

You: Humm, well..., (excuse, excuse, ...)

Me: What?

You: I couldn't do that! Present at a conference?

Me: Why not?

You: That is only for experts and I'm not one.

Me: Wrong! If you have a story to tell, then you can present.

You: But I've never presented before, it scares me, but one day I'd like to try.

Me: Go for it, do it. If you want you can co-present with me.

You: But, But, But .....


I'm sure you have experienced something like the above conversation before. You don't have to be an expert to present, you don't have to know everything about a product to present, you don't have to be using the latest and brightest technologies to present, you don't have to present about something complex, etc. (and the list goes on and on)

The main thing to remember is, if you have a story to tell then that is your presentation. Be it simple, complex, only you might be interested in it, it involves making lots of bits of technology work, you use a particular application in a certain way, you found something interesting, you used a new process, etc (and the list goes on and on)

I've talked to people who "ranted" for two hours about a certain topic (its was about Dates in Oracle), but when I said you should give a presentation on that, they say NO, I couldn't do that!. (If you are that person and you are reading this, then go on and submit that presentation).

If you don't want to present alone, then reach out to someone else and ask them if they are interested in co-presenting. Most experienced presenters would be very happy to do this.

You: But the topic area I'll talk about is not listed on the submission page?

Me: Good point, just submit it and pick the topic area that is closest.

You: But my topic would be of interest to the APPs and Tech conference, what do I do?

Me: Submit it to both, and let the agenda planners work out where it will fit.

I've presented at both APPs and Tech over the years and sometimess my Tech submission has been moved and accepted for the APPs conf, and vice versa.

Just do it!

Just do it

No comments:

Post a Comment