Thursday, April 30, 2015

Turning down the always on aspects of Life

There was has been various on going discussions about the every growing “always on” or “always available” aspect of modern life. 

Most of us do something like the follow each day:

  • check email, twitter, Facebook, etc before getting out of bed
  • checking emails and responding to emails and various social media before you  before you leave the house
  • spending a long day in the office or moving between multiple clients
  • spending your lunch time on email and social media
  • go home after a long day and open the laptop/tablet etc to answer more emails.
  • final check of emails and social media before you go to sleep

Can you remember the last time when you finished work for the day and went home you were actually finish work for the day?

A couple of years ago I did a bit of an experiment that I called ‘Anti Social Wednesdays'

That experiment was actually very successful but after a few months I did end up going back online. But the amount of work I achieved was huge and during some of that time I started to write my first book.

I’m not going to start out on a new experiment.  I’m going to turn off/delete all work related email accounts from my Phone, tablet etc.  I’ll leave it on my work laptops (obviously)

What this means is that when I want to look up something on the internet or use an app on my phone, I’m no longer going to be tempted into checking emails and doing one of those quick replies.

So now I won’t be getting any of those “annoying" emails just before you go to sleep, or when you are on a day out with the family, etc.

If something is really really important that you need a response really quickly then you can phone me. Otherwise you are going to have to way until I open my laptop to find your email.

Anyone one else interested in joining in on this little experiment?  Let me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment