Sunday, April 22, 2012

Book Case

I finally got round to finishing a 5 foot high, by 4 foot wide, book case. It is made out of Sycamore wood with Mahogany wedges

Sycamore is a Very hard wood and can splinter easily.

One of the things that I like about this wood is when you apply danish oil you get variances in the colouration of the wood. I’ve ended up with some darker patches and some light patches. So you don’t get a consistent coloured finished.

This is one of the joys of working with natural solid wood rather than manufactured wood or veneered wood.

This is why I like it working with natural wood. It has lots of character. Plus the colouring will vary over the coming months.

IMG_0830IMG_0829

When I moved book case into its new home in the dining room I discovered that the floor in not level. The book case was leaning away from the wall Sad smile This was easily fixed with a very small wedge placed under each end piece. This is not ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment